Takoma Park, MD
(202) 596-1499 / goldmansj(at)gmail(dot)com
expanded resume/recommendations: http://www.linkedin.com/in/StevenJGoldman
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Dedicated and versatile marketing and communications professional, with experience and subject matter expertise in corporate social responsibility and sustainability, clean energy and climate policy, and nonprofit communications.
- Communications Strategy & Message Development
- Campaign Strategy/Implementation
- Project Management
- Social Media Outreach & Promotion
- Media Research/Monitoring & Content Curation
- Web & Social Media Metrics Analysis
- Webinar/Email Campaign Development
Marketing & Communications Coordinator, Corporate Partnerships (2013 – present)
Environmental Defense Fund, Washington, DC
- Designs and implements digital and content marketing, media relations and social marketing campaigns that amplify EDF’s collaborations with industry, including:
- finding solutions to minimize methane emissions from the oil and gas sector (1, 2);
- getting toxic chemicals out of companies’ supply chains;
- freight optimization;
- adoption of building water efficiency measures;
- incorporating environmental risk management into investments; and
- driving corporate support for climate and energy policies (1, 2, 3).
- Develops and implements content strategy and marketing for EDF Corporate Partnerships, including the program’s web site (http://business.edf.org), blog (http://business.edf.org/blog/), social media presence (Twitter, LinkedIn), as well as through paid online promotion, webinars, short-form videos, email campaigns and pitching speaking engagements.
Communications Specialist (2012 – 2013)
Energetics, Washington, DC
Client: U.S. Department of Energy, Wind & Water Power Technologies Office
- Provide strategic counsel, planning and support services to office’s upper management and team leads in the areas of communications and public relations, building support for federal R&D in renewable energy technology development among advocates, taxpayers, policymakers and industry.
- Plan, pitch and implement long-term content and branding strategy, short-term campaigns and promotion of individual projects through agency and program-level channels.
- Draft print and online outreach materials, including press releases, Energy.gov blog posts (1, 2), social media updates, program Web content (1, 2), print publications, and email newsletters.
Senior Research Associate, Policy & Research (2011 – 2012)
Alliance to Save Energy, Washington, DC
- Conducted research, assembled/modeled data, and drafted written materials (e.g., talking points, factsheets) to assist Policy staff regarding federal and state legislation, federal efficiency/sustainability programs, consumer impacts on energy efficiency and other key issues.
- Authored reports and factsheets for Alliance website for use within working groups, for issue advocacy and outreach to stakeholders.
- Represented Alliance in appliance standards working groups and provide research/drafting support for Alliance public comments.
- Drafted materials (i.e., articles, factsheets, resources) for Alliance communications efforts and assist with media inquiries.
- Lead author on Alliance white paper, “Energy Efficiency: A Tool for Climate Adaptation.”
Chair, Special Events and Technology Management; Co-Chair, 2012 Conference (2012)
Social Media Strategist (2011 – 2012)
Net Impact DC Professional Chapter (DCNI), Washington, DC
- Developed chapter Web presence, social media and content curation strategy for events promotion, building chapter thought leadership and membership.
- Collaborated with Board, membership and partner organizations to brainstorm and plan innovative events for DC-area audiences in sustainability, CSR, social enterprise and international development sectors.
- Coordinated editorial calendar for events to help meet chapter strategic goals and deliver diverse programming slate for membership.
- Researched and presented proposals to Board of Directors on new software tools, including CRM and project management applications, social media dashboards and content management systems.
- DCNI awarded Professional Chapter of the Year honors at 2011 national conference and nominated for 2012.
ORISE Fellow (2010 – 2011)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Wastewater Management, Water Permits Division, State & Regional Branch, Program Management, Analysis & Data Team, Washington, DC
- Managed content review of division’s Web site: soliciting input from program staff and contractors about revisions/additions; evaluated potential social media use by division to increase public participation in rulemaking process.
- Provided project support on National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Updates Rule; duties included coordinating development of new NPDES individual permit application forms for new program areas (pesticides, vessels, cooling water intake towers) and drafting materials for workgroups.
- Tracked division’s performance/budget measures and assembling/reporting results for management.
- Drove development of Urban Waters microsite, including site design, content drafting/editing, and development of social media strategy.
- Coordinated division’s response to public comments re: EPA Strategic Plan and rulemakings.
Consultant (contract) (2010)
INCENTER, Austin, Texas
- Conducted market research and developed strategic communications and social media outreach strategy for federally funded nonprofit focused on technology-based economic development.
Frontier Associates, Austin, Texas
- Performed statistical analysis of energy efficiency program data, survey data collection and other support functions as part of large-scale evaluation, measurement and verification (EM&V) projects for Texas utilities’ demand management and energy efficiency programs.
Research Assistant (2008-2009)
Green Canary Sustainability Consulting, Austin, Texas
- Provided research support to consulting team of five; supervised interns on research projects and day-to-day duties.
- Assisted staff in development of client sustainability strategies during weekly team meetings and client conferences.
- Researched and drafted specific issue reports and stakeholder assessments for clients in high-tech and manufacturing sectors.
- Authored columns for company blog; compiled relevant sustainability-related news and wrote copy for biweekly client newsletter.
- Contributed to client acquisition by providing targeted briefs/data on prospective clients/markets and identifying likely points of contact.
Graduate Research Assistant (2008)
Center for International Energy & Environmental Policy, University of Texas at Austin
Client: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
- Conducted literature review regarding potential economic impacts of expanding renewable energy use in Texas.
- Drafted economic impacts brief and compiled database of clean energy legislation for inclusion in larger report for TCEQ.
- Report cited by Texas House Select Committee on Electricity Generation and Environmental Effects in update to Texas Legislature.
Policy Research Team Member (2007-2008)
Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin
Client: Congressional Research Service (CRS)
- Researched and authored briefs for inclusion in larger report to CRS on current state of Indonesian transport sector and carbon emission reduction efforts, and drafted proposal to expand federal grant program for U.S. microtransit projects.
- Compiled data set on Indonesian transportation infrastructure and rolling stock from public and non-governmental sources.
Project Director, LBJ Livewire (2007-2009)
Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin
- Led assessment and redesign efforts for closed-community Web site supporting 300+ students, including selecting new software platform, securing project funding, building ExpressionEngine CMS-based Web site, and supervising student assistants and freelance Web designer.
- Taught outreach workshops: trained 100+ students on site functionality and elicited feedback for potential improvements.o Doubled student site traffic and dramatically increased overall stickiness of site (e.g., 242% increase in pages viewed per visit).o
- Streamlined student communications and greatly reduced quantity of informational emails sent to student listserve.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Research Associate (contract) (2009), PBS
- Finalist (2008), Deloitte Public Sector Case Challenge
- Legal Secretary/Proofreader (2002-2007), Office of the Attorney General (Texas), Thacher Proffitt & Wood LLP, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Founder/Publisher (2003-2005), FWDbooks
- Web Editor/Producer (2000-2001), FOXNews.com, Wizard Entertainment Group
- Project Manager/Editor (1999-2000), Fotozine.com
- Freelance Writer (1999), Flagpole Magazine
Master of Public Affairs
Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs
University of Texas, Austin, TX
Focus: Energy / Environmental Policy, CSR/Sustainability
Bachelor of Arts
Emory University, Atlanta, GA